Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ignorance Is Biz

When many people think of Biz Markie they quickly think of his poorly sung 80's ballad about how the love of his life left him scorn, "Just A Friend". Sadly until recently I was one of these people. I had seen "The Vapors" on MuchMusic once or twice but couldn't tell you any details or recite any lyrics. After seeing Biz on Yo Gabba Gabba! I did some YouTube research and watched as many of his videos as I could. Biz's flow is obscurely creative and absurdly comical and this translated perfectly through his videos. The videos for "T.S.R." and "It's Spring Again" are great examples of this...


"T.S.R. (Toilet Stool Rap)" 



"It's Spring Again"



"T.S.R" is crude at best and I don't usually like potty humour but Biz Markie made me giggle with this one. Who hasn't been there? Sitting on the toilet, singing a song, humming a tune, tapping your feet. As for the video for "It's Spring Again" there is nothing not to like. With his golf course hoes and hilariously crooned hook Biz makes me long for winter's demise. Unlike many one-hit-wonders, Biz has much more under his belt than a brief flirtation with the spotlight. 

No comments: