Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Upcoming Hip Hop of the Year

XV
This year was full of gimmicky hip-hop and played out trends, but one concept that I really enjoyed was "40 Days/40 Nights". Keeping it fresh everyday and never treading back on worn-out territory XV kept me coming back every morning and night. XV comes off well-rounded and has a wealth of knowledge in pop-culture, allowing for great bars and metaphors. With tracks like "If I Could Draw", "Shuck Jive", and "Go Motorcycle Go Ghostrider" constantly bumping through my speakers, my ears can't wait to hear "The Kid With The Green Backpack" in 2009! 

Runners-Up

Jay Electronica- The greatest emcee from New Orleans, yeah I'm no Lil Wayne fan, who chops truth with audio clips from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". "Trolley-Stop" a standout track of his, displays love of true hip hop. No one in 2009 will be asking "What The Fuck Is A Jay Electronica?".

Wale- March 2009, new album. March 2009, new day in hip hop.




No comments: