Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Aw-Ree

I find there is a certain thrill associated with learning a new word. The first time you use this word the rush is intensified. Waiting to see the audiences appreciation of your phonetic feat. Definition and spelling spring-loaded if needed. On guard for any accusations of shenanigans or foul play. Making sure your cemented in every detail. When reading you read words how you see them. If you don't feel like it's a challenging word, you don't question it's pronunciation. This is the case with me and the word "awry". Pronounced a-rye, I had spent the last 15 odd years saying a-ree. Interviews, socials, house partys, school, fast food cashier interactions all marred by my idiocy. When watching a certain "...Video Music Awards" with group of people I exclaimed "Oh no! Things have gone aw-ree!" To which my sister responded. "Aw-ree?" "Yeah" I said "Aw-ree. Like bad, unexpected." "Do you mean a-rye?" I looked at her, glassy-eyed, re-living every use of the word in the blink of an eye. This instant realization was shocking and eye-opening. My quest for vocabulary supremacy had blinded me and now I was paying the ultimate price. I urge you to learn new words, their spelling, their definition and most importantly the way they are said.

No comments: